Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tim 'n Tyc's

"Rumor has it--Best Food in Town."

With a self advertisement like that parked in front of their old location, you know they were just asking for me to walk in the door.

In fact, previous to that display my spouse actually picked up a few different stir-fries and I remember liking them and slightly comparing them to Wok Box. But of course the price was too high for the actual party in my mouth so I didn't return.

But then there's the sign. And of course I'm a sucker for a good debate. So in I went to the new location on 100 Ave (the former Ship to Shore place.)

The good:

To my eye this place is sort of on the "dive" side. I mean, there's a slight organization to their chaos, but overall it falls into that category. It's clean, earthy, hippy, friendly, chill, West Coast vibe. And so are the owners/operators. They're not bad to look at either. The menu is small--remember my mantra? Less is more.

You can walk in anytime except 2-5 pm, usually be greeted by one of the Husko brothers and choose your own seating. The menu is short and concise and written in the ever-growing popular chalkboard style. It's readable. Seating is refreshingly different and spacious and the decor fits the owner's personalities. Nice artwork on the walls. Great flooring complete with peace signs burned in for effect. There's even an unusual-shaped fish tank hanging out at the entrance. Tyc (pronounced "Tike") smokes all the meat out back. They're passionate about their food and Ukranian heritage.

The not-so-good:

I'm not sure what the food laws are here in Canada, but I'm hoping there's a high standard. Aren't you? I've heard a few different local tales of food law violation. In other words, if you knew what a restaurant was doing, you wouldn't be going back.

My first impressions: I couldn't tell if the main/bar counter was for food prep, order taking or for customers to put their hands on while looking into the kitchen. Because really, there was paraphernalia leading back to all three ideas. Which leads me to another question: where does one order anyway? Because the till is at the door and the menu is above the kitchen. Still baffled by it.

The most surprising was the lack of aprons and gloves. Sanitation. Mr. Door Greeter also felt free to saunter back into the kitchen and start preparing food. Touching the vegetables with his hands. I know he didn't wash before doing that. Ms. Kitchen Prep was in her hoodie at the bar counter I previously mentioned and rolling up wrap-like concoctions. In front of me. Everyone was sans disposable gloves and hair nets.

Look. Treating your restaurant like it's your home kitchen is not a good idea. And it is against the law where I'm from. Your best buds aren't coming over for a beer and good meal. These are your customers and they are paying you to do what you do. If not, you will no longer be doing what you do. Lackadaisical attitudes regarding hygiene will shut you down faster than poor money management. Capeche?

The food:

Tyc, the chef de jour? I'm not sure, but he was sure enthusiastic about describing his chalk board menu. Not being familiar with the place or their style of cooking I was slightly overwhelmed at how much info he was throwing my way.

Tip: Customer never been before? Suggest 2-3 items, described in detail, including the hows and whys of the preparation process. Sell your product. Any dummy can read a menu, but if you can tell a short story and whet their appetite? Sold.

Back to Tyke. So I say: "I'll have two of your Best Whatever, to go." I could tell he'd never had that request before. He was slightly flustered and mentally grasping for ideas. But he went to work. With me watching. Food -lovers, if you're feeling adventurous and can take pretty much any flavour, spice, combination, this type of ordering will inevitably test the skill and quality of the restaurant staff. In this case, Tyc is both cook and owner.

I came back in 10-15 and snagged a bag full of the soup de jour, Chickpea and Tomato Curry, Seafood Stir fry and a Chicken Salad Wrap. My lunch tab was $32.00. For that price, it had better be good-bordering-on-make-me-salivate-until-I-can-eat-there-again.

The soup--hot, flavourful, broth-like, non-creamy base with hints of sweetness. The aroma is almost better than the bite. A nicely, satisfying curry dish.

The wrap--A nice presentation, great colors. Fresh, crunchy, a nice balance of savory and fresh veggies. Tortilla had a nice chewy texture. I would like to see grilled chicken in this item rather than canned. If 'chicken' is the first part of a title, there had better be a good amount in there and it had better be awesome. Tyc, try a grilled chicken--better flavour, color and overall appeal for this wrap. This menu item would not bring me back.

The Stir Fry--First of all, Jake told me it was the Seafood version. I received the Chicken Green Curry. Good thing I paid some attention to the menu before handing over control. This dish is a complete bomb. To be concise--very bland, very lacking in the meat department, very oily and the noodles were practically mush. Al dente, people! Al dente! Cooking noodles al dente allows for them to finish cooking by soaking up the accompanying sauce thus adding great depth of flavour. By adding a small amount of salt we cured part of the blandness, but really, this is not a great addition to the menu. I don't care if things are fresh. I would take Kraft dinner over this. How sad it that?!

The end:

For FSJ this is a great place. It's different in food, in appearance, in overall feel. It's local. Stacking T&T's against bigger city clientele? They would be hard pressed for survival. If they're going for the hippest place to have a sandwich, sure they would be competing with Whole Wheat & Honey Cafe. Food wise? I think they need a reality check. Sure you can use fresh ingredients and while that choice alone improves overall taste by leaps and bounds, HOW the ingredients are put together and finally marry is what matters ultimately. You wanna exclusively serve wraps? Awesome. Change your soup de jour so it's different every day of the year? Ambitious. Make sure each ingredient can stand alone. Do it well. Otherwise the final product is cheated and that means repeated reflections on cooking skill and operation.

GRADE: B. Cool atmosphere, okay food, great personalities.

Tim 'n Tyc's
10403 100th Ave
250.785.2525

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huska, not Husko.