Saturday, October 31, 2009

Whole Wheat & Honey Cafe

My first impression of this place is good. I’m talking about their hot, new location—all newly designed and freshly painted and tastefully decorated. Very new age. The high ceilings, warm colors and hippy vibe all contribute to my journey to what I affectionately call my ‘restaurant happy place.’

The positives:

Ample space and diversity in seating. Sit by the south windows. Chill by the stage. People watch while facing 100 Street. Hang out in center of the place, cafeteria style. Breathe in the clean, fresh, crisp décor. I felt like Hippy was my religion while eating there. I wanted to order some herbal tea, pop in an advertised Dana Manning CD and braid my hair.

Nice-looking employees. After a few minutes of conversation, I didn’t mind the extremely severed bangs combined with a ‘natural’ look.

Great ordering set up. Huge menu board that’s easy to read; knowledge, chill staff. Very open feel—didn’t feel claustrophobic or pressured to hurry my decision-making process.

Loved the live music idea. I feel like it’s a place where I could pick up my guitar, book a slot and leave my case open for coinage. Actually, strike the case idea—that’s tacky. Never been to a show here, but I plan on it ‘cause it looks cool. And I want to be cool.

Finally figured out when they were open (anyone remember than Texas BBQ place that just couldn’t quite figure out if they were doing construction or serving brisket?) and went exclusively to breakfast/lunch. WW&HC had a similar problem during the first few months in their new place.

Loved the idea of homemade muffins and those extra large beverage mugs. Although, it’s sort of weird to have the muffins individually wrapped in plastic wrap--kind of low budget. The mugs remind of Central Perk in Friends. Which also reminds me: Isn’t it somewhat against a law somewhere to ‘borrow’ another’s idea? Anyone remember their old location and signage? Totally Friends… I’m just sayin’.


Areas of improvement:

Sometimes open late for special events. This is sad to me. I would love to see this establishment rock it all day long. Despite it being in a high traffic location and catering to workday foot traffic, this place has great potential for tapping into the night crowd. Not everyone wants to frequent a pub, you know.

The food was not so memorable. After the first few bites, I came down from my giddiness in finding a donair in FSJ (-skimpy on the tasty tzatziki, meat on the bland side, but, bread was soft and chewy.) It was okay. The side salad, accompanied with a too-oily vinaigrette, was just weird. All the veggies were cut too large. I can’t even say they were chopped because that would mean the pieces were smaller than they were. Couldn’t decide if the fork and knife were needed or to just pick it up with my hands.

A tad warmer in the chillier months. Nothing like a good teeth chatter while eating a salad.

Overall, I would go back. WW&HC has so many good things going for it to be ignored. To be honest, if this place were open at night I might get there more often.

GRADE: B+ Step up the food and make my mouth water, please. If I think “Quizno’s” before you, that’s a problem.

Whole Wheat & Honey Cafe
10003 110 St
250.787.9866

No comments: